The History Of BGC
Bonifacio Global City was once part of a multi-hectare portion of Taguig that the United States government acquired in 1902 and operated as a military base. Christened Fort McKinley after US President William McKinley, it was the headquarters of the Philippine Scouts, the Philippine Division of the United States Army.
In 1949, three years after the Philippines gained political independence from the United States, Fort McKinley was turned over to the Philippine government. In 1957, it was made the permanent headquarters of the Philippine Army and renamed Fort Bonifacio after Andres Bonifacio, the Father of the Philippine Revolution against Spain.
In the 1990s approximately 240-hectares of Fort Bonifacio was turned over to the Bases Conversion Development Authority (BCDA) to facilitate the conversion of former US military bases and Metro Manila camps into productive civilian use. By 2003, Ayala Land, Inc. and Evergreen Holdings, Inc. entered into a landmark partnership with BCDA to help shape and develop Bonifacio Global City - an area once synonymous with war and aggression – into the amiable, nurturing, world-class business and residential center it is today.